Robbery is a crime that targets both people and businesses. Reduce the risk of personal injury and increase the potential of bringing the culprit(s) to justice.
- Ensure that windows are not covered over by signs or merchandise.
- The store cash register should be located so as to allow a clear view for passing motorists, pedestrians and police patrols. In the event of a robbery, a store employee will be able to note the car’s description and direction of travel.
- Notify the police if suspicious persons hang around your place of business. Be especially alert at opening and closing times.
- The interior, exterior, front and rear of a business premise should be well illuminated to deter potential robbers from hiding in shadows or poorly lit areas.
- If your business is equipped with a video camera ensure the system is working. Regularly clean and inspect the video equipment and change the video tape every week. Ensure proper camera alignment of the cash register and/or doorway area
- Do not keep large amounts of cash on the premise
- Use a drop safe or night deposit. When making night deposits have someone with you, stagger your delivery times and DO NOT carry money in sight
During a Robbery
- Remain Calm
- Obey the robber’s commands
- Do not antagonize the robber
- Consider all firearms to be loaded
- Look at the robbers – notice details to aid you in describing them and their mannerisms. Note age, weight, height, clothing, tattoos or scars
- Take note of the weapon
- Watch the direction the robbers take – if they use a vehicle, try to note the licence plate number
After a Robbery
- Call the police immediately! Dial 9-1-1
- Give your name, telephone number and the address of the hold-up
- Give a description of the suspect(s), direction of travel, and a licence number if a vehicle was used
- Advise whether or not weapons were used
- Protect the crime scene. Keep customers or other employees away from the area of the store where the robbery occurred
- Ask witnesses to wait until the police arrive
- Lock the door until the police arrive
- Do not touch anything
- Save any notes that were used – do not handle it or let others handle it
- Co-operate with the police