Call for Artists- Mural Project
The Junction BIA is conducting a public art competition to select a mural to be installed on a concrete wall on the side of the building on Pacific Avenue (384 Pacific Ave) in the Junction Neighbourhood. The mural projected is aimed at revamping an outdated mural ( see picture below).
The goal of this project is to provide opportunities for local artists to create works of art that contribute to the vitality and attractiveness of the community streetscape.
Artists responding to this competition must provide the following information:
1. Design proposal(s)
2. An artist statement briefly explaining your design (maximum 200 words).
3. Two professional references including contact information.
4. Four images of past work labeled with date, title and medium.
5. Project cost proposal (including material costs)
Artists may submit more than one design proposal (template) along with a statement for each design. Do not bind application materials or put them in a notebook or folder. Do not send any materials not specifically requested (i.e. transparencies, DVDs/videos, articles etc.). If sent, they will not be reviewed by the jury. Submissions will not be returned.
APPLICATION & DESIGN CRITERIA
- Artist applicants must reside in the City of Toronto
- Artist must provide a sample sketch and proposed use of colours, style and overall design. Reference any design elements if possible with examples. The entire north wall is your canvas ( 11 ‘ x 55’ ) . Be aware that some changes to the design may be required to accommodate site requirements.
- Designs cannot contain advertisement or promotion for any business, product or viewpoint.
- Designs may not include any breach of intellectual property, trademarks, brands, images of illegal activity or involve the attachment of any object(s) to the wall.
Applications will be evaluated on quality of past work, artistic merit of proposed design, qualifications, and ability to execute the project. References will also be checked.
The selection committee consists of the Junction BIA streetscape committee members.
The successful applicant will be contracted by the Junction BIA under guidance of City of Toronto economic development department. The artwork becomes the property of The Junction BIA upon completion.
July 2th, 2014 deadline for submissions
July 10th, 2014 artist selected
September 1st, 2014 deadline for art to be completed (considerations for weather provided)